Odd News ~ Betty's YouTube ~ UncleGadget's YouTube ~ Home

The more you give, the
more I can give back!

There has been,

Hits to Betty's
Pubs since
Sept. 30th, 2004

~Share this page or article on Facebook~

Author Topic: Movie Night at Betty's  (Read 7740 times)

Betty

• Administrator
  • Winner of the Golden Panties Award
Re: Movie Night at Betty's
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 06:33:33 AM »
The week I bring you a few more old classic gems.

1. This first movie from 1929, in modern times, is praised as one of the best movies ever made. However, back in 1929 most critics didn't like it. It's a silent B&W movie but was intended to be played with music. In this copy, the music don't start until the orchestra plays in the film. It's a mixture of clips showing urban life in Kharkiv, Kiev, Moscow & Odessa. Soviet citizens are shown at work and at play, and interacting with the machinery of modern life. It took 3 years to film.

203mb, B&W SVCD quality, 67 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~

2. This 1933 B&W film is considered a rare classic. Although one would have been able to see & tape it off a cable channel, like Turner Classics, it was unavailable in home video until the DVD was released in 2010. The story, had been done to death in many versions & cartoons. This version was considered a flop, & only started getting praise when it aired on cable TV, & the DVD became available. Now it's considered a fantastic classic. The all-star cast is featured in some pretty amazing costumes, & the lead star's dress is pretty. The studio cut a lot of parts out of the film for the cable & DVD release. I hope the original full 90 minute film still exists, & that someday they may release it complete.

186mb, SVCD quality BettyVision, 72 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~

3. This is another B&W 1933 film. Rotten Tomatoes rated it as the greatest horror film of all time and the twentieth greatest film of all time. Until this week, I hadn't watched this movie since I was a kid on a B&W 25" TV set (that was a huge TV in those days). Wow. I think I enjoyed it now more than I did as a kid. Even the old-style, dated special effects, & stop-action animation seems to just add to the creepiness, & scares of the movie. There were remakes of this film done in 1976, 2005, & another one due out later this year. Has anyone seen the remakes? I haven't. Were they any good?

229mb, DVD quality BettyVision, 98 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. For our next film we move up 30 years to another B&W classic. It's a comical Cold War satire, loosely based on 1958 novel, Red Alert. It was nominated for 4 Academy Awards. But in those days only the most serious, artistic, or musical films ever won an Oscar. It's incredibly odd, funny, & interesting... especially these days with the USA's nuke button in the hands of a crazy crooked liar.

144mb, DVD quality, 91 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~

5. We move up to 1967 with a color musical for this weekend's fifth feature. I guess I just don't have the "Musical" gene. I like music, but really don't care much for most musicals. This one though is visually pleasing. It also doesn't break into a nonsensical song & dance every other minute. It actually has fair a story to enjoy & a reasonable amount of acting. A few cool & pretty dresses in it too. There was a 1998 remake of it, but I haven't seen that one yet.

It's good that it doesn't have too much music in it, because the music is exceptionally bland -- even for a 1960s musical. The movie had to be cut down in length 3 times because it was claimed to put the audience to sleep. This was made for kids, not adults. So enjoy it by being a kid again. Enjoy some of the cool scenes, effects, pretty dresses, & a fair story.

It won several Academy awards, & was nominated for many more. But it is believed that the studio wined, dined, & bribed Academy members for awards -- something that is rumored to still happen today.

364mb, DVD quality, 136 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. Our next feature is an Italian film from 1988, with English subtitles. It won an Academy Award for Best Foreign film. There are several versions of the film, including a 177 minute directors cut. This is the award winning international version. The film didn't do well in Italy, but was praised internationally. This sentimental film is hard to describe... you have to watch it, or watch it again if you've forgotten the details of the story.

295mb, almost HD quality, 118 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. There was only supposed to be 6 movies featured in this set. Then I stumbled upon this old forgotten 1978 VHS quality film in my collection, based on a 1968 song. The quality was so bad, I couldn't really do anything to clean it up. Sit back more than 6 feet from a big screen, or watch on a small screen, & it's more watchable. Although this was produced for theaters, it resembles a made for TV movie or sitcom. In 1980 they did make a sitcom out of it too. 30 episodes aired. I never heard of it, so my guess is that the sitcom series didn't do well. Still, this forgotten movie was fun to watch again.

97mb, low VHS quality, 98 minutes.

They're all in our movie section along with much more at,
http://pearlcorona.org/betties/index.php?board=7.0
Don't forget to check out our TV section too.
(members access only)

Who needs cable TV when you got Betty's?

We are currently running about 26 movies, & about 45 TV episodes (mostly 45-50 minutes each). Please support us with a donation.

Betty

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 09:41:26 PM »
I've added episodes 11-20 of the second Trek season.

Each episode is 85mb to 160mb in size, depending on the complexity of the scenery & action of the episode. All 10 of these episodes combined are only a total of 1.45gb in size (for about 8 hours of almost HD video).

Enjoy Trek fans!

They're in our Television section in our member's private viewing area near the bottom of Betty's Pub. If you're not a member, you won't see it or other special sections.
http://pearlcorona.org/betties/index.php?board=9.0

While you're down there, check our movie section too -- now larger than ever!

Betty's is now running about 93 hours of video, with more to come. And that doesn't even include much more material at our 2 YouTube channels, plus hundreds of hours of our music channels returning soon (currently busy upgrading/updating our radio channels).

Don't forget to support it all with a donation. It is not possible for free. It takes a lot of time, work, technology, & money.

Betty

• Administrator
Trek episodes 21-26
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 04:41:52 AM »
I just posted the last 6 Star Trek episodes from season 2.

I'll probably have the first 10 episodes of season 3 (their final season) enhanced, converted, compressed, & posted some time next week.

There is a significant amount of processing to the videos to get them down to a small file size & still have them look pretty good. I can actually get these down to 40-60mb per episode, but although it would be watchable, it wouldn't look pretty. I can also just push a button to compress them down to a smaller file size in 10-20 minutes per episode, but it won't look as good as possible that way. It takes considerably more time to do it nice.

Then, I have to upload these to the google server at anywhere from 40-70 minutes per episode (uploading is 10 times lot slower than downloading).

These last 6 episodes are around 141-166mb per episode, in enhanced BettyVision, & about 50 minutes each.

Enjoy!

(Betty's Pub members only)

Betty

• Administrator
10 more Academy nominees
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 05:25:27 AM »
The time or view limits has expired on most of the previous 11 nominees, & they've been removed. But we have 10 more Academy Award nominees to see. In this set I also include some of the animated movies, & short nominated films that I liked.

These are only viewable to Betty's Pub members. You will not see our private sections if you are not a member & not logged in.

Enjoy!

Betty

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 02:10:24 AM »
This weekend we bring you 2 foreign movies of boys wearing dresses. One is a pretty cool French film, & the other was a Polish film compiled from a very popular Polish TV, 6-part mini-series.

1. French 1989
Boy dresses as a girl to escape an angry town, police, & Germans.
I actually had this movie on VHS tape when it was still fairly new. With no subtitles, & my French not being very good, I still enjoyed the movie, & understood the basic story enough, without understanding the details. Alas, all tapes & VCD copies of them were lost in the fire.

In the 1990s, Betty's even featured some brief clips & a gallery of caps from the film. I just recently found another copy of it. But the DVD version was no better than the VHS version -- but very good VHS quality. Doing what enhancing & color repairs that were possible, the film looks a lot better than the DVD or VHS versions avalable, but still not quite excellent DVD quality. It also was in old TV 4:3 format. I expanded it a little bit in our own special way so it fits modern screens just a little bit better -- without over-stretching or too much cropping & ruining the film.

Spoiler alert -- What seems to be a fun movie, has a very, very sad, disappointing ending. Why make a great fun movie only to end it so tragically? If you want to write a story of the tragedies of war, just do it. Don't write a fun or adventure story, & then suddenly tramtically end it! It's like taking us on a fun amusement ride, & then slapping us in the face after it's done -- what was the point of that?

As a bonus, with the collaboration of friends, we bring this to you with English subtitles!

339mb, SuperVCD quality, In BettyVision, English subs, 103 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Polish 1980

Bother & sister trade places to avoid some problems, & get into mischief.

This film was actually a popular 1977 6-part Polish TV mini-series. What they did was take the 6, 43-45 minute VCD or 16mm quality episodes, & edited it down to an 82 minute movie. To remove so much of the series & make the film so short, they sort of ruined it. Too many cool & fun parts are gone. You'd think they would have tried to make it at least 2 hours long so they didn't have to cut out so much fun & silly stuff.

But we feature it here, along with the original series because friends & I have made subtitles for it. It would have taken weeks to make subtitles for the series. It took me days just to fix & clean up the quality of the series, then expand it properly to fit modern screens better. So there are no subs for the series.

I highly recommend to watch the film with subtitles first so you understand the story. Then you will enjoy watching the series more, even without subs.

298mb, SuperVCD quality in BettyVision, English subs, 82 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Polish 1977

This is the original 6-part Polish TV series of the above. It was very popular in Europe. We even featured brief clips & a gallery of the series here. It's much more fun to watch than the 1980 movie, but has no subtitles. So you should really watch the above 82 minute movie first with the subtitles we've made, so you understand the story before watching this series.

You've probably seen these on youtube... blurry with most episodes all brown, orange, red-brown, yellowed, or generally very discolored.

I had to do a lot of processing to try to clean them up, & make them more watchable, then convert them to fit a modern screen a little better. These were about only about VHS quality originally, so most of you never seen this series look this good before.

I've combined the first 3 episodes into 1 big part, & the last 3 episodes into a second part.

Part 1 (episodes 1-3)
375mb, SVCD quality, in BettyVision, no subs, 127 minutes.

Part 2 (episodes 3-6)
418mb, SVCD quality, in BettyVision, no subs, 129 minutes.

For Betty's Pubs members only (free - no adware, malware, or spyware, all of Betty's has been rated highly safe by Google, yahoo, & alexa for decades)
Restricted to a limited audience. All media in our private viewing section may have an audience limit, time available limit, or views count limit. They will be removed when our limit is reached. So if you wait too long, they may be gone. First come first serve.

No, you don't have to donate money, material, posts, help, or support to use Betty's or our media, but it would be nice.

Betty

• Administrator
The final Star Trek season (season 3)
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 02:55:04 AM »
Finally, at long last, we have the third & final season of the original Star Trek series at Betty's. All 24, 50-minute episodes in near HDTV quality!

It's at our private viewing section near the bottom of our main board in the TV section. You have to be a member there to see the private section. Our main site & stories are separate sites on separate servers. Being a member here, does not make you a member there. You have to join to see our TV & movies... except for the ones we have on our YouTube channels.

It takes a very long time to tweak the quality up on these, & then compress them down to a manageable, uploadable/downloadable size. Due to lack of support, I've had to do more cutbacks. I'm now on the slowest "budget" DSL internet connection available. So it takes hours to upload large files. Meanwhile, almost all my communications with the outside world, & the management of Betty's/PSK/UG free sites & services is also done through this slow DSL connection.

So I simply can't tie up my internet connection on long uploads as much anymore unless we get more donations so I can upgrade to a higher internet speed again. That stuff suc-king up my connection even hinders my phone calls & text messages. During those long uploads, I can't really do much else online or whatever I try is painfully slower than a dialup connection when it's tied up with uploads. I don't have cable TV, so I even rely on my internet connection for TV.

I've also been running into hard drive problems again too. It's not that I made bad choices in drives or abuse them. It's just they're very old & well used. When I warned not to buy used or refurbished drives (or at least not paying much for them), I also bragged about just getting more drives. But those drives I got broken or removed out of old equipment for free, but were good enough for my uses.

The solution is that we need more support for Betty's than just from a few who regularly do. Without that support, I can only deliver what I'm able to on the budget our users provide.

My drives have 26,000 to 43,000 spin-time hours logged on them. That means if they were spinning 8 hours a day, it would take about 9-15 years to log that many hours of spin-time. So the hard drives were exceptionally long lasting.

Which one last the longest? Many will argue the point, but from decades of fixing & using computers I see clear winners. Western Digital makes the best longest lasting drives. Hitachi is a close second. The Hitachi hard drive division has merged with WD. Third place goes to Toshiba. Their hard drive division is now "partnered" with WD. So the top 3, share a lot of the same parts, technologies, & designs.

SSDs are a strange trend. Benchmarks of the newest best ones are showing lifetimes far longer than mechanical drives. But in a clean test-lab under perfect conditions, climate control, surge protectors, & probably with the best well regulated power supplies, they are not imitating real life use in those tests. Randomly writing, reading, & deleting lots of ones & zeros in a row for weeks in a perfect environment is not how real hard drives work in the real world. In the real world I'm still seeing a 2-5 year lifetime on the best SSDs, depending how hard you work them & the devices they're in.

With an SSD, boot time may be 23  seconds instead of 49 seconds. Opening a program may take 0.3 seconds instead of 0.7 seconds. But does all of that matter if at any time, without warning, that drive could start loosing your data, pictures, doc-uments, or just suddenly & unexpectedly just die? Even if you don't have the software to check on the health of your drive, with a mechanical drive you can hear, & sometimes even see when it's going bad, then save your data before it dies.

Beware where you get your drive. I see a lot of bad reviews for WD drives. They were sold used drives as new. If you find a place or seller (even at Amazon) selling a drive for more that $10 less than the average "good price", it's probably a used drive with possibly 30,000 or more hours on it.

When you drop your stuff off at a recycler place, they re-sell them or their parts to people who sell them as "new" or refurbished. When you see reviews for that model of drives at other sites dating back 3 or more years, it means it's an older model. They are selling used drives clain they're new or refurbished.

Absolutely nobody is refurbishing drives. There's no such thing. You may be able to fix a cracked connectoer on them, or set an old one up to run a lot slower to squeeze a little more life out of it, but that's not refurbishing.

Nobody is sitting on unused "old stock" of good drives for 3 years in a warehouse either. The older the model is, the less it's worth, so they would sell the new drives ASAP. They would not "warehouse" unused drives for years unless there's something wrong with them.

There's a lot still liking Seagate drives. They're garbage. I have yet to see any Seagate drive last more than 10,000 hours except for a few, & those few running showed lots of bad clusters by then. That means even though they were still running, they're losing data & don't have much time left before they fail. There's a reason they're regularly cheaper than the rest. They only last 1/4 as long, so how much money did you really save if you lose data & have to buy another one much sooner than you expected.

I even had Seagate representatives argue that point in an online review that I wrote. They argue that Seagate drives survive better in hot, rough, & extreme environments than the rest. Nope, even in roughly handled & dropped devices, or ones that got very hot because the internal fans died, Seagate still failed much more than the top 3.

Of course Microsoft & Apple insist you should be replacing your devices ever 2 years. That's bullshyt! Thats not economically or ecologically feasible, but it would certainly make them very rich... especially if they're putting cheap crap drives & parts in them that aren't designed to last very long anymore.

Getting back to SSDs... They may boot or open programs twice as fast, but running & processing stuff is done by your processor & RAM not your drive, so it is just as fast running & processing stuff no matter which type of drive you use. There is an exception, that if you don't have enough RAM to run your programs from once they're loaded, they may run them directly off the drive instead of the RAM. But if that's the case, it may run faster with an SSD, but you'll kill the SSD very fast by over-usage -- get enough RAM. Also, if your drive is failing, it may slow things down because the programs are loading with errors, or missing data.

32 bit, single core machines need 2gb of RAM. 64 bit machines or dual & quad core machines need 4gb of RAM. If you're a hard core gamer with massively large programs to run simultaneously, double that amount. And of course if your running a massive program for a particle accelerator in a lab, you may need even more. If you need more RAM because you're leaving dozens of browser windows/tabs open at the same time, the solution is to not leave that many browser windows open at once, not get more RAM.

If while doing the most intense operations you could, check your RAM usage. If you never use much more than half the RAM installed, getting more RAM will not help anything whatsoever. Adding too much RAM may even slow it down. Extra RAM draws more power, that your processor could need to run fast. The processor has to work harder addressing more RAM. And all of that creates more heat inside the device. When the power supply is working hard or your device gets warm, it will throttle back the processor, reduce power to protect itself & try to keep it cooler.

What good is a quad core 3.6ghz device with 32gb of RAM, if the computer is throttling it back to 2ghz when it gets warm, or when it's using too much power? A quad core 3.6ghz device will usually run much better & faster with 4-8gb of RAM than 16-64gb of RAM overloading the system. Don't overkill. Just get what you need, not all that could fit in it.

Anywho, back to the enhanced Star Trek final season. See it like you've never seen them before. Enjoy!

(Betty's Pub members only)

Betty

• Administrator
4 more crossdressing films added
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 06:21:01 AM »
I've added 4 more crossdressing films.

The first film of this set is a B&W musical from 1942. A college boy dresses as a girl at a girls college for a prank & revenge, but falls in love there instead. Nominated for 2 Academy awards.

------------

Our second film in this set is a B&W Russian film from 1942. A boy has to disguise himself as a girl, but seems to have way too much fun doing it. Sorry I couldn't get or make subtitles to this, but you can follow the basics of the story without knowing the language.

------------

For our next film we turn to the dark side. This is a 1972 horror/murder mystery about a teen boy who's mother made him live all his life as a girl. But I just gave away the end, because you weren't supposed to know that until the very last minute of the film. I'm also disappointed that they cast a real girl to play the boy dressed as a girl.

The film got bad reviews for being so dark that in many of the dark scenes you couldn't see what was happening. This was deliberately intended to be that way in an effort to make it scarier. But if you can't see the film, it might as well been a radio show, or a book. No reason to film it if you can't see the important stuff. They also blurred a lot of the scenes for the same reason. The DVD release made no effort to clean up these mistakes, plus as usual with older DVD & VHS releases, they boost the warm colors so most of the film looks horribly orange. I tried to fix the film here as best as I could.

------------

Our final film of this set is also on the dark side. It's another horror/murder film. Plus it has some of the worst acting I've ever seen. This 1983 film is about a boy raised as a girl by his aunt, & then goes to summer camp as a teen. Once again though, I gave away the ending a little because you aren't supposed to know Angela is a boy until the last few seconds of the film. Don't bother watching the sequels of this film. They don't even acknowledge that Angela was a boy in the sequels, except a brief line in the second film that mentions she had a sex change, so is all better now. This is a low-budget drive-in movie style movie, that tries to imitate Psycho.

Once again though, I'm very disappointed that they cast a girl to play the character of a boy dressed like a girl rather than use a real male actor.

-----------

I've also just added the 1948 version of Oliver Twist to our classic movies in our movie section. There's a few brief scenes of him in Lord Fauntleroy outfits with ruffled collars that look cool.

-----------

They're all at our private viewing area at the bottom of our front page of our main site in the movie section. If you are not a member there, you won't see it. Being a member of our Story site does not automatically make you a member at our main site (the pub). They're independent from each other on separate servers.

The more you give, the more I can give back.

The dots in the map below represent every person who visited Betty's since Aug. 5 2017. Blinking dots show people currently here. However if you haven't clicked on anything in a couple minutes your dot won't blink until you click on something again.

web
statistics

Hits to Betty's Pubs since Sept. 30th, 2004

eXTReMe Tracker

Website, forum design, software, & security on this site is copyrighted. It was made personally by Betty Pearl, of Betty Pearl's Pubs, & Sissy Stories. Betty's Pub is a non-profit organization & support group for the transgendered, & Fetware community. We don't sell anything, there are no ads, & we don't data mine your personal information & habits to sell like MOST other sites do. We respect your privacy & won't sell it out for a few bucks.

Site for: Site for: sissify, sissification, sissyfication, feminization, petticoated, adult baby stories, diaper stories, regression, Sissy stories, ABDL stories, sissies, crossdressing, crossdressers, transvestites, transsexuals, adult babies, diaper, diapered, frilly dresses, ruffles, bows, lace, & tutu.