Odd News ~ Betty's YouTube ~ UncleGadget's YouTube ~ Home

The more you give, the
more I can give back!

There has been,

Hits to Betty's
Pubs since
Sept. 30th, 2004

~Share this page or article on Facebook~

Author Topic: Don't Make Your Story Parts Too Large!  (Read 210 times)

Betty

• Administrator
  • Winner of the Golden Panties Award
Don't Make Your Story Parts Too Large!
« on: August 11, 2017, 06:55:41 PM »
I'm frequently getting database error messages, "packet too large" when saving, backing up, or moving databases.

This is caused by story parts that are way too large.

What that means, when I back-up, save, move, or transfer a database, your oversized story part may only be partially saved, or not saved at all, & if we hope that the archives.org/wayback site will archive some of it, those oversized parts may be skipped & not archived.

For various reasons we may have a crash, get a bug, move to a different server, or have to serve stories off a backup server. "Oversized data packets" containing oversized story parts are not saved, moved, transferred, or only part of them may be saved (or may be corrupted).

That means for for every time I move the site, database, or boot to a backup, I have to dig for a complete copy of the missing or corrupted parts, & manually insert them back into the story. This is very time consuming, when I have to do that with dozens of story parts. It's also unreliable because sometimes there may not be a complete copy available anymore after a crash... especially if it was a recent story, or an extremely old story. So without a complete fuctioning version in our database backups, it may be lost.

Please try to keep your story parts to a sensible size. Break extra long ones into 2 or more parts.

There definitely should be no more text in a single post than what you would find on a normal page of a paperback book.

This will also lighten the load on our servers, our user's connections, & their devices because they won't be trying to load excessively large pages when they click on a story. They could click on the next page of the story to read more, instead of bunches of it being loaded from a single page or thread all at once.

Betty

• Administrator
  • Winner of the Golden Panties Award
Re: Don't Make Your Story Parts Too Large!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 07:01:38 PM »
This not new news either. It's always been our rule. It's even specified in the rules I wrote here in 2006:

* Story Part Sizes - Parts can be no more than about 8.5k in size. For standard browser text, that's about 2 screens worth here, or about enough to fill 6-8 of those little text boxes you type or paste your part into. It won't be a strict limit. A little over won't matter. Over-sized parts make oversized data packets which can be lost or corrupted during backing it up, archiving, repairs, or retrieving it. Many servers won't even accept oversize data packets, so would make it difficult if we have to move it or us to another server.

http://buffalobetties.net/Stories/index.php?topic=30.0

Mary Beth Sanford

• Super Sissy
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 07:57:24 AM »
Hey Betty,

Just read the rules after reading your warning about story parts and clearly I have violated the size limits big time.  For that I'm really sorry, and all future part will be posted in compliance.  I had originally broken the story by pages (about 10 each) - basing it mostly on the size for "attachments"  My bad.  I've made the necessary changes and again, I apologize.  I also noticed I posted the story with a couple of banned words.... I'm fixing that.

Hugs
Mary Beth

Mary Beth Sanford

• Super Sissy
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 08:07:58 AM »
Hi again,

Okay, I've gone through the original story and have replaced two of your banned words with bosom and member.  Again, I apologize.

Hugs
Mary Beth

Tiny Johnny

• Mommy's Dearest
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 07:15:09 PM »
I apologize to you and all others if I have done this Betty.  I will keep it in mind moving forward.

The more you give, the more I can give back.

The dots in the map below represent every person who visited Betty's since Aug. 5 2017. Blinking dots show people currently here. However if you haven't clicked on anything in a couple minutes your dot won't blink until you click on something again.

web
statistics

Hits to Betty's Pubs since Sept. 30th, 2004

eXTReMe Tracker

Website, forum design, software, & security on this site is copyrighted. It was made personally by Betty Pearl, of Betty Pearl's Pubs, & Sissy Stories. Betty's Pub is a non-profit organization & support group for the transgendered, & Fetware community. We don't sell anything, there are no ads, & we don't data mine your personal information & habits to sell like MOST other sites do. We respect your privacy & won't sell it out for a few bucks.

Site for: Site for: sissify, sissification, sissyfication, feminization, petticoated, adult baby stories, diaper stories, regression, Sissy stories, ABDL stories, sissies, crossdressing, crossdressers, transvestites, transsexuals, adult babies, diaper, diapered, frilly dresses, ruffles, bows, lace, & tutu.