Due to Betty's recent illness, most of Betty's sites are limited to members only, and no new registrations for memberships will be accepted at this time.

Trans News ~ Headline News ~ Science News ~ Tech News ~ Paranormal & Aliens
Odd News ~ Betty's YouTube ~ My other channel

The more you give, the
more we can give back!
There has been,

Hits to Betty's
Pubs since
Sept. 30th, 2004

Author Topic: Promises, Obligations and Consequences  (Read 132067 times)

teddi

• Winner of the Golden Panties Award
Promises, Obligations and Consequences
« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2012, 04:27:32 PM »
“Prisoner of war!  That is the least unfortunate kind of prisoner to be, but it is nevertheless a melancholy state.  You are in the power of your enemy.  You owe your life to his humanity, and your daily bread to his compassion.  You must obey his orders, go where he tells you, stay where you are bid, await his pleasure, possess your soul in patience.    Meanwhile the war is going on….”  Winston Churchill…My Early Life:  A Roving Commission…Standard Year 1930

Epilogue Part II:  The Captive
So it was that after an elapsed period of over four thousand years an undeclared war ended as it began; in silence and unknown.   None had marked its actual beginning let alone its end and only one of its mortal combatants, the unheralded, though singular personage known as Christopher H. Markison, had returned home; finally making port at journey’s end.   His departure had gone as unnoticed as had his arrival; no marches or parades had seen him off nor hailed his auspicious return.  Moreover, the considerable forces he had marshaled over time had, after victory, quickly broken camp leaving him on the parade ground standing at attention naked and alone:  wondering. 

It was when he eyed The Sachem of The Northern Tribes that it occurred:  that a rapid succession of waking dreams passed before his eyes in curiosity.  The occurrence left him questioning as to why none lingered long enough to make an impression; for each presumed fantasy which passed before his mind’s eye, in some manner of fashion, appeared in their familiarity to him, personal in nature.  Despite his better judgment he immediately dismissed them; instead reaching out for help to the steady hand first presented him and immediately found that upon a touch, on many levels, he was incapable of movement; the very thought of which to him at that moment brought immediate revulsion and absolute disgust.   

To The Sachem of The Northern Tribes the adverse reaction signified at least a partial success of the ampulla’s potion.  She pondered the obvious task which lay before her:  how does one explain to another, first, of their child’s ability to move through time and space, let alone dimension, at will?  Of course to him, it was a comparatively simple procedure.  She remembered his initial enlightenment to her while on their journey to Heaven’s Door of “Well, at first thought, I fold time in upon itself as one would a page in a book:  forwards or back; as for difficulty in achieving either, there is little difference in the effort.   You may consider the fold in time as the crease which cuts through or across the time-line itself and through which I move:  in essence, a short-cut to jump instantaneously from place to place.”  Do to the circ-umstances she suppressed her skepticism, kept it in check, until he continued, revealing quite matter-of-factly “Of course, as for any dimensional barrier…when crossed you will discern a rippling effect which for all intent and purpose acknowledges a transition.”  She remembered his joy, not at the revelation, but of her astonished reaction.  He had continued his gleeful nudging of her sensibilities with “Aeron, all dimensions are links to times and places; they exist simultaneously; some are layered, one upon the other; however the vast majority are conjoined.  Sister, you would do well to remember, once visited we are their keeper.” At the time she dismissed his thought as fabrication preferring instead to contemplate the obvious which he responded to by telling her “Yes Aeron, I know what you’re thinking, you’re thinking “What if you ever make a mistake or the place you wind up at isn’t exactly where you wanted to go?  What happens then?  Aeron, you already know the answer:  as I, without the proper resonating frequencies, even with help, you get lost; sometimes it could be forever.”

But that was then and this was now and that would be the easy part of what she would convey.  She ceased her reminiscences and observed her charge as he moved to take his sisters hand to take his leave of her.  It was when he turned away that she recounted his last remarkably cogent thoughts to her; those prior to the ampulla’s taking its full effects upon him.  It was a decidedly one sided and unexpected purging to her of the secrets he had heretofore held for years within the impenetrable fortress walls of his mind: and as preparation to her most recent occurrence, the enmass purging of his mind’s informational terabytes were but a gentle precursor of what would follow.   It was when the download completed that the Seer understood:  His were the words “For if you would fail, not only he, but all others will be lost to us all forever" that were spoken by others.  They served as a reminder of what lay at her wards core: protect His heartfelt desire.  It was then she surmised that the two were, for some time, in league and the thought, while surprising, also caused her to consider:  why?  But that was then and now she found her attentiveness to Christopher H. Markison  growing; but sadly all she could do was watch him turn away understanding that the boy agonized as to the sudden changes within him. 

Following his sister’s lead, Aeron noticed his steps had shortened to the fettered shuffles of the suddenly vanquished and his once proud shoulders now sagged and slumped forward as would one who plodded a path to nowhere while quavering in defeat.   It was the askance glance that he took back at her which caused her to tremble as the tears of recognition of what he had become, formed then fell at will.  The forced smile she glimpsed was short lived as his trembling lips mimed to her…“Hail Victory.”  In silence and so resigned, she watched him as he was led away.  Again, in those few moments before he escaped her view she remembered his brief recount of understanding…of what and why.

She remembered that he began quite personably with “Aeron, again I would remind you…there are others who exist, much like me.”  She recalled he had immediately corrected himself with “No, forgive me, I misspoke.  It is because I am that they are.”  She recalled he immediately felt her quandary and growing uneasiness at his insinuation and straightway moved to explain, as a parent to child, instructing gently while speaking “Shush, no, no questions now, I sense your growing apprehension, the insinuation it is not what you envision:  between us all will be well, merely listen.  It will take time for you to assimilate what you have now experienced but be warned, shortly there is much, much more to come upon you.   Prepare yourself.

“Be that as it may, Sachem, you do remember the bards words that “All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:  They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts.”* Yes, my apologies, of course you do, well, Seer, Heaven is no less the theater.  There, each plays our part as have you.  In so doing, He no less would suffer me or you than another and by now you should know; where he rolls the di is not often seen.  It is that which has together brought us here.

“I would tell you, as for myself, despite appearance, my repeated refusals before Him and others prior to rebirth to enter the forgetful mist were in part but a ruse, one that for over three and one-half millennia has served us both:  a dĂ©tente, one which from the beginning He understands; from which I am now, because of you, in many ways, without fear and free.”

She remembered that of the dozens of questions she could have asked only two partially formed in her mind and before she fully contemplated either he responded to her with “You inquire first “What.”  Or more precisely “What on earth are you speaking of?”  Well that is the problem now isn’t it; however first I will address your second query of “Then if not for yourself why did I really do that; not enter the mist?”

The giddy laugh which preceded his assertion of “Actually, at this moment, aside from the personal reasons of which you area aware, there are two hundred and fifty six specific reasons why I refused” which further piqued her rising curiosity.  “However,” he continued, “for you, I shall again first deal with the mundane.  Again, that I can travel in time is really of little consequence.  From experience, in that, I am not unique: and of course it is done by others with whom you are familiar.  But I reiterate, it is a simple process when one accepts time as a continuous string which is malleable; possessing the elasticity of motion which allows one to fold both time and space either forward or back upon itself:  Aeron, the ability to move is predicated upon one’s sense of reality.  In time, you too will find yourself able to move as I have and dare I add, now, given the links provided, with a greater dimension of success.”  She remembered he laughed again only this time with a greater sense of joy;  upon which he suddenly and quite casually dismissed some thought with “forgive me, the witticism was unintended.” Moments later she would understand.

How does one express the emotion which follows the experience of complete understanding? Consider, The Sachem of The Northern Tribes, one, who once held in her hands a very special bracelet:  comprised of two hundred and fifty-six sequential links; each scrupulously annotated in minute detail by an artisan of heretofore unsurpassed skill.  One who, with proper direction, intentionally provided upon each link not only what was necessary to track and find Him but more.   Of course, it suddenly dawned on The Sachem of The Northern Tribes, that if one merely sought the necessary, the obvious, never thinking to delve further; well, that in itself would be but a beginning.  Such was the occurrence experienced by Aeron D. when told “find the Artisan.”  To her credit, eventually, she did.   

Consider her amazement in understanding its true meaning.  That, each successive link in the charm not only represented, as told, a remembered life once held dear, that in itself was simple, reasonably understandable: it was the alternative to her which suddenly, on many levels, became less palpable; encompassing another truth, that of reality. 

She remembered how gentle his voice when he spoke “Aeron?  Until this moment, to you reality has merely been what is real:  nothing more, nothing less.  Scholar, here my gift to you is understanding: that from this moment forward, to you, reality is everything that is, has been or will be, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible and everything that existed, exists or will exist.** Sachem, the links in the charm you so carefully held are the enumerated gateways which will take you to  other places,  other times:  dare I add, perhaps  even to other worlds in alternative dimensions analogous to our own.  The proof of such may be found upon the bracelets links as the artisan’s initials are a compilation of my computer's generated QR codes; my evidence to their existence. 

“Seer, for some reason, once visited in turn, certain gateways to elsewhere appear to avail themselves; so entering which, you, in reality, become the arbiter:  there, reality becomes; at your whim to exist, to disappear or simply hold in time until you deem it is prudent for release;  its fate and all which comprise it are yours.  Aeron, in part, that is the lesser secret I keep; all remain, but where I to enter the mist all which I believe to be real would be lost. 

“Sachem, here the greater portion, the secret, of what I hold dear is…only He and I are truly aware that they exist because in dimension they are timeless.   Aeron, the links are the gateways traveled to the “Mansions” of which He spoke and each portal is unique unto itself:  each is an alternative manifestation of His Will; a reality unto itself.   Now do you understand why I can never enter the mist?”

She remembered waiting a respectable period of time, perhaps days or maybe it was weeks before she could formulate a reply; and when she did she cried while speaking “Yes, you, through another’s urging, were to be the instrument of His destruction:  for while a mortal may never kill a god under certain circ-umstances a half god could.  Time, found itself as the ubiquitous companion to you both; but also the enemy within Heaven’s Gates:  for that reason it constantly and so cruely pressed for your entry into the mist.  In so doing it would not only eliminate you but also eradicate in part the realities which sustain Him; so weakened He and Heaven would fall.”  She remembered his subsequent silence and if not for her prodding question of “How did you know?” he would have remained so for the duration of their journey back home.  His subsequent explanation of “Taken by Odysseus’ hand in the dead of night I trod behind the shield he carried; one which from behind reflects the enemy that would come upon its true holder and glimpsed those that in time would harm me; I remember all of them.

“Aeron, until such time, you are the guardian of my experiences I am in your hands.”

It was to that final thought that The Sachem of The Northern Tribes stood mute, silently watching, as Christopher torpidly allowed himself to taken by the hand and be led away while thinking to himself  “I don’t feel right. Things” he thought “seem different.”    He had no way of knowing his sister was of the same opinion.

Moments later, hand in hand, she had led him past both Brisa and Melina, back down the hallway towards her room:   hearing what she presumed to be the anxious whispers shared between those they had left.  In a manner of fashion, mistakenly, she was correct as those who had greeted The Sachem of Northern Tribes had lingered and sought without success to bid Christina adieu.  It was but a precursor of what would follow; none of which to her would be pleasant as her immediate isolation from who she had “intimate knowledge” left her uncharacteristically nervous and frantically thinking “What’s happened to my Chris and me?  Our voices?”

It was unsettling to her that he offhandedly did not respond to any of the other silent thoughts which she unsuccessfully posed to him of “Are you alright?  You’ve changed.”  Her noiseless shout to him of “Answer me damn it!” went unheeded; as did her apologetic “I’m sorry for yelling but you’re scaring me… Do you still feel sick?  Won’t you please, answer me?   You know… I don’t feel the same inside either, Chris…I don’t know how or why but you’ve left me and I’m so lonely without you.  Where did you go?”  Lost, he never answered:  and if he could have he would neither know what to say or do.    For her the assimilation process would be gentler; and far less encompassing than that which currently had, for the moment, consumed her brother.   And as they walked the feeling she sensed which now crept through her mind was tantamount to her of being swallowed alive by an all-encompassing nothing; a void of hollow desolation.  The thought, though restrained, was apropos; correctly reflecting the thoughts of her now secluded brother.   

She motioned her immediate intent and obediently he entered her room first; she followed, closing the door behind them.  Their short walk, consisting of seconds, had ended without a spoken word between the two; and now, Christopher H. Markison stood alone having stopped before his sister’s nightstand; and thought to shake the fuzzy headed disorientation he felt out of his aching head while staring into the large vanity mirror which hung above it in total surprise.   He looked first at the hair to his shoulders; but then caught the faintest of glimmers which flashed momentarily in his eyes; somehow understanding that his once bright green eyes now held a deeper secret.   

Given that, he peered questionably at the overall reflection he faced; it did little to comfort him and what should have elated, if not thrilled him, instead left him wondering about what had happened and why, as subconsciously, he knew, despite what he saw, something else essentially more important about him, was missing.   Moreover, he thought himself now strangely at odds with the individual he stared at:   as the more he eyed his reflection in the mirror the less he understood of himself; and even less of the many faces he thought which, atop his shoulders, repeatedly took their turns staring back at him.   Of course each face which in turn supplanted the other emulated to a gradation either the previous or its successor:  with the all-encompassing characteristic being that all were green eyed youths who by appearance had never matured.   

He had no way understanding that each supposed hallucinatory face which met his gaze was recalled out of time and was a lasting vestige of the many he had countlessly been.    Instead, to him, only the evident mattered as he thought “Somehow” he paused only to confirm his supposition “I know it’s me but it isn’t.  Look at me…every time I see a face and think it’s me it changes before I can get a better look at it and…and…” 

That’s when the hackles which suddenly raised on his neck and arms left him suddenly aware that he had had, or thought he had at one time endured similar occurrences, where his efforts to view someone or something of importance had always presented itself only to elude him; but, for some reason, now, he was unable to recall who it was or even the matter of its significance.  Moreover, his immediate attempt to discard the recurring thought not only proved fruitless but likewise heightened his misgiving that for some reason a certain facsimile was to him, in part, at the core of his dilemma.      He racked his mind trying to think of what it could be but instead of the solution he sought, he succeeded only in raising more unanswerable questions which too presented themselves as enigmas; not the least of which was now manifest to him that “My eyes…my eyes used to be really green, but now I think they’re creepy.”   

He could and would have dwelled on that alone for hours if not for the dull pain which, if as on command, suddenly exploded in his head.  Rubber legged and wobbly he wilted into the vanity chair and waited vacantly for whatever else which was to occur; never realizing that under other circ-umstances for him he would have done no such thing.   The only thing evident to him was the sudden realization that thinking of anything which pertained to his appearance made his head hurt and so he did what would be expected of one who labored under such limitations:  reaching a failsafe point he stopped thinking about it.   

It was then that Christine A. Markison watched her brother begin to gently rock to and fro. She thought to caress his face and began to reach out to him; and for a moment it appeared to her that he at last heard her as she watched him turn and lean expectantly towards her.  However, instead of the eager smile she expected to meet her touch, he grimaced while doubling over at the waist.   Helpless, she could only stand and watch him bury his head between his knees and cry:  understanding that she too now stood alone and lost; unable to console who was on many an occasion not only her alter-ego but also her unspoken confidant, who at this time was still in need, especially of clothes.   It was to that end that the selections she chose agreed with Aeron’s wishes and to Christine’s surprise were donned without protest. Given the circ-umstances, for him, resistance was futile.
*William Shakespeare, “As You Like It”
**Paraphrase from Wikipedia

teddi

• Winner of the Golden Panties Award
Promises, Obligations and Consequences
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »
Epilogue Part III - A conclusion

What win I, if I gain the thing I seek?

A dream, a breath, a froth of fleeting joy.

Who buys a minute's mirth to wail a week?

Or sells eternity to get a toy?

For one sweet grape who will the vine destroy?

Or what fond beggar, but to touch the crown,

Would with the sceptre straight be strucken down?”

? William Shakespeare, The Rape of Lucrece

For some reason, midway through the conversation, the mood of the next to last meeting for one of its participants had soured.  For the increasingly disgruntled woman, this morning was to be the last of what had been a grueling solid four weeks of travel covering more than two thousand miles with little rest:  but she had, until this moment in time, been able to cope with the stresses involved; an obligatory phone call ahead of each arrival, greeted by all too willing strangers at a door and then seated to conduct an interview with people in some strange setting whose sole objective it was was to wheedle and cajole from her a decision favorable to them.    On average she would meet three times daily, if possible more, but always afterwards check into a reserved room at a motel for the evening:  where, after dinner, in solitude, she would review her itinerary for the upcoming day, bathe, apply the prescribed medicated ointment to what had been diagnosed as atoptic dermatitis to her prickly neck and then retire.  As always, the Gideon's Bible in the nightstand's top draw remained untouched.

This particular morning had started the same:   a wakeup call at five thirty A.M. followed by the mandatory morning bathroom repertoire; dressing and then the brief walk to the common area for her continental breakfast.  Her routine fare was normal:  coffee black, a cup of low-cal strawberry yogurt, one plain toasted bagel and three pats of low-cal cream cheese.  She sat and ate, closed her eyes for a moment to compose herself and then opened them, surprised to find sitting before her, a handsome young man, who, in her mind, was far too good looking for his own good, who apparently had taken the liberty of seating himself at her table without her permission; one who, without a smile, simply stared at her.  Under normal circ-umstances she would have instantaneously made a scene and have castigated the individual for such a presumptuous intrusion; instead she sat transfixed in silence, not wanting too, but none-the-less looking into his eyes.  That is what she remembered.

That he addressed her personally by name in itself was surprising but not as much as what he told her after he spoke saying “You wish to know my name and why I am here:  very well.   For you my name is Quillon as for why I am here, it is merely to tell you … Hell has three gates:  lust, anger and greed* and that you are free to go:  if you so choose.”  That too is what she remembered.  In fact, she remembered everything about him but couldn’t recall him actually speaking to her; nor did she remember his actually leaving her; because she thought “I just blinked my eyes and then he was gone.”  She knew better than to ask those who sat around her “Did you see where he went?” because he already "told" her that that would be the first thing that would come to mind and that "...they," those who surrounded them and ate, "would not notice him and at best would think her mad."    “Besides at the moment," he told her "for them, I do not exist, you alone are the one, who for now knows… I am:  here.”  At this moment she remembered that at the time she didn’t think that that was at all funny; or, that she had hallucinated while sitting at her breakfast table in front of thirty or so strangers who all, for some reason, chose to turn and stare at her at exactly the same moment she opened her eyes, sitting alone, staring at an vacant chair, to find he had vanished.  Nor did she understand why the room suddenly smelled of oranges.  All she understood was that the obligation of business called.

Business had always been good but now it was better because of the vision she had had; one which began several years ago.  Initially it was but a random thought, a gentle seed planted in her mind of something wonderful that she remembered after waking up one morning.  Then, it was pleasing to her, now it had become an all-consuming obsession:  in fact, it had become a recurrent dream, always the last of her many dreams which crept its way into her mind before waking and it all centered upon an impartial judgment concerning an award, a discriminating verdict that she alone would render.

Of course that the prize she offered was an all-expense paid summer of six-weeks, for one, at her camp (travel included) was in itself no small item of consideration as by her estimation that that alone was worth over two thousand dollars; a fact despite which all of the previous summer sessions, which even in bad economic times, had always been booked solid.  Moreover, the waiting list for this year’s summer period was remarkably well over three hundred for the next available slot. If she had the ability she would have taken them all but pragmatically she understood the impossibility but was angered because “it was good money gone to no use…but then again….I find the adage true that a fool and his money are soon parted.”

Given that thought she did what came naturally and that was continuing to entice the well-endowed by offering a one in sixty five chance, with no guarantees, for something more:  wining a contest whose entry fee she established at an additional sum of five hundred dollars (for an extended stay of eight weeks) and the opportunity to win not only the handsome sum of five thousand dollars but also a place on the cover of her own creation which she had until this moment affectionately called “ Je suis…lĂ ." 

That was her newest venture:  it would be a forty page quarterly devoted entirely to the day to day activities at her pride and joy.  Her current brochure’s circulation now numbered over two-hundred and forty thousand, and as many would be subscribers to her newest venture had voiced an interest in her creation she was encouraged that from either personal first-hand knowledge or via word of mouth that they were willing and able to pay the ten dollar quarterly fee (or the reduced rate of $35 if purchased and prepaid yearly) for its delivery right to their doorstep:  all neatly sealed and wrapped in weatherproofed double layered pink plastic.  It was a lucrative venture, promising that while the additional two weeks at her camp would itself be distinctive it was the cover she would use to entice the increased funding she desired, without the additional burden of additional attendees.  Instead of the generic pastoral cover on a simple four page brochure that she had used for over thirty years since assuming financial, administrative and daily operative control, the extolled image of a lone contestant would for the first time adorn its face; moreover, the majority of the remaining pages would be a complete pictorial doc-umentation of his entire stay from start to finish replete not only with captioned balloon thoughts but also accompanied by  detailed explanations offering insights; notes, as to what occurred both prior and immediately after the photo’s capture.  To her mind the plan was sound and could not fail.  How little did she know that she was right.

So it came as a complete shock that without notice that the middle aged woman abruptly rose from the porch settee and curtly excused herself with a terse “Enough of this!” The other two who sought her favor were startled and looked back at her in surprise.  The two, whom she knew previously, sat speechless even though just moments prior, each had engaged her in what was thought as a genial, though decidedly, one sided conversation.  In their mind there was not a hint of tension whereas now it was manifest as she stood with fists clenched as she glared down at them both.

To whom she thought would have been an excellent prospective and lasting client; she forced a genial smile followed by another which to some could have been interpreted as one of malicious intent after which she glanced at her cellphone with a scornful frown.   â€śTwenty two minutes” she muttered “Almost a complete waste of a good twenty two minutes of my time.”  She glared again at the couple, especially the male, who now simply by his presence irked her, groused to herself “I’m short of time” and never paused to hear their protestations while continuing to vent “I’m leaving, but first, your submission to the contest was photo-shopped; don’t bother to deny it; it’s a fact standing right here in comparison, one which you cannot deny.  Second, the on-line brochure specifically noted that all prospective campers as well as contestants were required, I repeat required without exception, to meet our minimum uniform dress code prior to my arrival and moreover all were subject to my personal approval.”  She paused to adjust the chaffing pashmina which circled her neck and then pointed to the form of the misty eyed carrot topped youth with spindly legs who stood trembling in a diaphanous pastel skirt with matching blouse not five feet from her continuing “Which this, this concoction of whatever it is is not.  Look at this…”she pointed “as pathetic an attempt I’ve ever witnessed…besides the lingerie beneath the two matching crepe panels is far too assuming.  You must realize that the first two I’ve seen today were far superior if not mildly amusing in their attempts to please me.  Unfortunately Sally, I find nothing to warrant my further presence here.”

She took two steps towards the door, paused and turned while offering “Don’t bother getting up and seeing me to the door.  I know where it is.   I’ll let myself out and ohh, by the way, as your online application for his unconditional enrollment was accepted two days ago your prepayment of three thousand dollars for this summer’s six weeks session has already been processed.  The electronic transfer has been credited.   

“And Sally, while I’m on the subject, I have yet to receive your summation of expectations which are necessary if attendance actually occurs.   Dearie, after our parting if you are so inclined to have a change of heart, I’ll understand; but I should remind you again that as before there still remains a strict non-cancellation policy as with approval, the immediate distribution of all sums tendered commences:  especially those related to the camper’s customized and tailored needs in advance of their arrival; all of which are necessary for the duration of his stay.  As a former counselor you know what’s entailed and  that I could rattle off at least a dozen or so right now but I’m pressed for time so if it matters at all I’ll forward a list…if only to refresh little Floyds mind that is:  do let me know.   

“Ohh, and that being said, I should reiterate, that regardless of circ-umstance or of our past association, vous-moi-lui-nous (you-me-him-us) well… that the fees, upon acceptance, are non-refundable; which means, that irrespective of your misgivings I do expect an attendee. 

In a grand sweeping gesture which encompassed both the boy (Fred) and his father (Floyd) she mirthfully concluded “Either one will do.  Though if it’s him” she said with a nod to Floyd “You know, now, even with your help, he still might appear out of place." Of course, she understood that it would be freckle faced Fred that would be spending the summer with her and that a henpecked Floyd would be otherwise occupied.  “Yes” she thought to herself “It’s been over twenty years and I still remember Frederica.   He still wears the pants in the house under the very apron I gave him.”

Without further ado she exited; walked to her ceramic red sedan, unlocked its door and entered without so much of a thought as to what she had just done.  To her it was just business:  nothing personal.  In fairness however she had inkling.  “It was a haunting feeling, the sort of sensation you get when you wonder whether you are two people, the other of which does things you can't explain, bad and terrible things.”* On many levels she was right again.

In any event, she eased herself back against the seat; pressed the ignition and then promptly set the temperature control to 76.  She turned and then reached to her right, lifting from the passenger seat the final folder of the day:  she had red tagged it herself.  She tore at its seal, muttered an obscenity concerning the folder ruining her manicure, then withdrew the contents and dismissed the temporary tingle she felt when she had touched it as meaningless; besides, she had certain expectations and had purposely saved this one for last.  She had no way of knowing it was really planned as such.

She peered into the folder and withdrew its contents.  She looked at the handwritten cover letter of “J. A. Markison” again; it appeared in order; had been stapled pro-forma to the accompanied application which on the reverse page had been time stamped upon receipt and then at a later date imprinted again as “Approved.”  She gave a cursory review to the third page.  It was the client’s telephone log and it noted that for this particular client, that in a thirty day period, just prior, that over one hundred calls were made:  morning, noon and night; each initiated by the applicant whose concern was successfully culminating her sons transgender issues. If only for importunity the sheer number of calls would have finally led to her office bumping the applicant to the very top of the waiting list.   Of course, the unexpected Fed Ex package she received which contained an aromatic note that stated “…for immediate admission if possible I have enclosed a certified check for an additional thousand dollars with the promise of an additional three thousand upon a successful stay” added impetus to the decision.  At that moment, the point became moot; the applicant was immediately registered in abstentia and upon notification of such all phone calls, except for the last, noted twelve days prior, had ceased.   The wheel had been sufficiently greased.   She marveled that in all her years she had had only two others, who were as insistent and paid as well and both their progeny were still on board with the program.  She mused at the longevity of the prospective relationship.  She was right.

She also knew that the accompanying CD supplied by the applicant held a dozen or more images of the subject in question:  Christopher H. Markison. Those were the images which, after she first viewed them, held her spellbound as the initial thought which crossed her mind was that not only was he beautiful but to her the face looked all too familiar; but of course she thought at the time, that that was impossible for they had never met:  well, as for time and place; that is what she thought.

Instinctively, it can be said, she had misgivings; certain undefined qualms which nagged at her but none-the-less she pushed them all aside and ordered her staff to research the possible attendee in depth.  Naturally, their exhaustive results proved fruitless.   With that in mind she reached behind the passenger seat for her lap top and placed it on same with the screen facing her; powered it, waited a few moments, then opened the CD case and slid the disk into to the slot and waited for the first image to appear; took a glance to confirm what she already knew that “If true, he is absolutely and stunningly beautiful” and then turned her attention to her onboard GPS; entered the address, placed the car in gear and then forced the accelerator down.  The monotone voice of her GPS sparked her desire to “Hurry” after it informed her that the “Destination entered…is forty three miles…travel time…sixty seven minutes…proceed west for …” and turned it off after hearing its admonitions concerning various road conditions and of an approaching batch of particularly bad weather.  Instead of waiting she threw caution to the wind and forced the accelerator to the floor expecting the velocity to increase proportionately to her effort:   it did and the digital indicator read as expected, steadily and consistently she read its progress to herself.  She committed to cruise at 88 m.p.h.  and was well on her way from where she had been to where she was going:  and no one would be the wiser.

Twenty minutes later, she observed the contiguous horizons; all of which had blackened, the enormous buildup of thunderheads and the sharp jagged white bolts which incessantly spewed ominously forth from the storms now solid curtain wall began to concern her.  Minutes later the fast moving system had closed upon itself:  isolating its efforts solely upon one particular area; the one which encircled her still moving vehicle.  There she sat, observing the maelstrom as she drove enduring its effusive bolts while they rained to earth; torching not only  the highway behind her but also to either side of her.  The thought which formed to her was that not only did the bolts track her every movement but actually were herding her forward for miles on end.

It was at that point that she lost her nerve, thought to stop:  but didn’t.  In all fairness it was not that she could as the moment she considered doing so, the bolts appeared to increase in their ferocity directly to the rear of her vehicle and inched terrifyingly closer with each stroke:  it was a basic understanding that she proceed lest she be struck.  She thought of calling ahead and delaying her arrival:  but didn’t.   Thought about crying because she was afraid:  but didn’t.  Thought about saying a prayer, even a small one, but couldn’t find the right words; not only because she never touched a Bible but also because they burned when she thought of them.  She thought of Je suis lĂ  which should have made her happy:  but now didn’t like anything about it.  Instead she pressed on, drove into an aperture which had immediately opened before her and upon exit passed and stared at those who had pulled over onto the shoulder of the road as if they were loons, not only heedless of their plights but oblivious to the spectral image of what had approached and then past her in the oncoming lane.

It was a similar make car as the one she drove; driven by an individual whose face she would have immediately recognized and whose voice, one remarkably similar to hers,  was screaming at top of her lungs for escape from the swirling maelstrom in which she found herself.  She totally missed the look of horror on the woman’s face when some type of understanding occurred:  that one was passing one’s identical self in going somewhere in opposite directions.  She might have reacted if she had looked into her rear view mirror just long enough to see a car, exactly like hers simply dissolve and vanish into thin air.   In short, even if she knew, she never would have given either a second thought nor at the moment did she care; she should have, but didn’t.  She should have felt so many things, especially the slight hesitation in the timing of the car’s engine or of the trivial change of harmony in the music she was listening to at the time or that the digital clock on her dash had repeated itself or that the tickling that she had felt prior on her fingertips had now moved up both arms to encompass first her shoulders and then the rest of her but concentrated itself around her neck and was just about to scream aloud that it burned when the transition occurred:  but didn’t.  Instead she simply opened her eyes as after an operation; viewed the road ahead, noted that the inclement weather was now well behind her and then being somewhat bewildered took a deep breath.  She didn’t understand what had happened and thought that she had blanked out momentarily and considered “I was lucky not to have driven off the road and I’m damned glad that I didn’t.

That she didn’t understand what happened was a misunderestimation of what actually occurred but none-the-less:  true.    As for her blanking out…on many levels being expunged even in simultaneously concurrent realities takes many forms so that too was for her:   true. Considering one lucky not to have driven off a road is desirable; however, given a certain perspective, that depends on the road ones on and its final destination after all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.   Her concluding thought of “I’m damned glad that I didn’t” was truly an unfortunate choice of words.

Twenty five minutes later and right on time she parked in the driveway of the Markison residence.  Though feeling worn she walked up to the door hoping that all would go according to plan:  she didn’t know it but it would.   

*? Bhagavad Gita “Hell has three gates: lust, anger, and greed”

**? Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

P.S.  For those who don't par le vous.... Je Suis...La....it means..."I am...here."

Donate to keep this site open or you will have to write your own

P.O.C. The Aftermath....coming soon

The more you give, the more I can give back.

The dots in the map below represent every person who visited Betty's since May 17, 2020. Blinking dots show people currently here. However if you haven't clicked on anything in a couple minutes your dot won't blink until you click on something again.

Web
Analytics

Hits to Betty's Pubs since Sept. 30th, 2004

eXTReMe Tracker

Website, forum design, software, & security on this site is copyrighted. It was made personally by Betty Pearl, of Betty Pearl's Pubs, Sissy Stories, buffalobetties, pearlcorona. Betty's Pub is a non-profit organization & support group for the transgendered, & Fetware community. We don't sell anything, & we don't data mine your personal information & habits to sell like MOST other sites do. We respect your privacy & won't sell it out for a few bucks.

Site for: Sissy Stories, ABDL Stories, Sissy Art, Crossdressing, Transgender