Due to Betty's recent illness, most of Betty's sites are limited to members only, and no new registrations for memberships will be accepted at this time.

Trans News ~ Headline News ~ Science News ~ Tech News ~ Paranormal & Aliens
Odd News ~ Betty's YouTube ~ My other channel

The more you give, the
more we can give back!
There has been,

Hits to Betty's
Pubs since
Sept. 30th, 2004

Author Topic: Got Windows 7? Don't Panic!  (Read 4440 times)

Betty

• Administrator
  • Winner of the Golden Panties Award
Re: Got Windows 7? Don't Panic!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 01:06:22 PM »
Quiet Saturday afternoon here at Betty's. I see our Linux visitors are back this weekend. It's not me. I haven't been on Linux since around dawn.

Contrary to the news, IT reports, & promotions, I still don't see Windows 10 winning here. Indeed, during work-weeks, especially near work & school hours, I see more people here on android devices than any other single OS. By Microsoft pushing Windows down our throats with W10, which mostly just imitates a giant android phone, it seems all they did was push more people to use android devices rather than like windows 10.

Map of our visitors during the past 30, with the OS & browsers they used:

JamieBoyBoy

• Ballerina
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 07:18:38 AM »
Whooooo boy I'm gonna come across as dumb here, but...

I'll be honest.  I want to hate on new Windows, just because I've always done so, since 1995.

I used to keep running Windows XP for years past it's due date, just because I had it set up the way I liked it and all my peripherals worked. Ended up with Windows 7 and loved it.

Then, when they were trying to force 10 on us, I just kept delaying, not wanting it. At work, we still had 7, but no choice of OS there (it's work), and I wanted my home comp to stay the same. Yeah some of our equipment's GUIs were stripped-down machine-versions of Windows XP, but with those,  the OS is invisible, almost, so who cares...

But then one day I came home from work and my computer, which I always leave on (it runs my Plex server for my tenant) was in the process of installing 10.  I fuc-ked up.

It was HOURS of the computer looking like it was frozen.  My home comp was only 2 years old and pretty darn good, around a thousand bucks for an idea of how it was equipped... but it seemed like it was hung on that installation. But I resisted unplugging it and giving up. It was something like 12-14 hours later when I heard a windows start-up sound...

Long story short? I'm a simple guy, I only run two USB-connected external hard-drives, and a printer for peripherals. And I've always paid for aftermarket virus/firewall protection. And I've always hated it, and hated how intrusive they all are.

But since my computer successfully installed Windows 10?

Total ease. The new install somehow got rid of the old Norton that came with the computer, I turned on the new Windows defender or whatever it's all called, my printer was ready for action, internet worked, all my stuff was right where it belonged (I selected 'normal' mode right at the start so I've never even seen what 10 looks like in that goofy phone-mode), nothing seemed weird, everything just... works.

I especially like how utterly invisible the virus scans and defenses are; I NEVER feel like I'm being bogged down like I did with (the obviously pathetic) Norton and others.  My machine does not seem any slower now than it did right after the 10 install.

It doesn't feel/seem infected, even though I know full well I'm probably riddled with trackers/etc., and every other computer I've had with non-Microsoft purchased anti-virus all seemed slower within months after purchase.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but honestly? I was a hater and strong resister of 10 until it thrust itself on me, and I've been very happy since then.

But then again, I understand I'm probably suffering from that Dunning-Kruger effect, wherein I'm too dumb to know what I don't know about how bad it is.  But seriously, if that's true, I'm kinda happy to be ignorant, because 10 has behaved flawlessly for me.

I mean, get this; I literally have not had one single actual 'crash' since 10 got installed. No blue screen of death, no total freeze-up.  I've had moments that seemed like it was crashing, but it always recovered. No other computer/OS version has ever behaved that well for me.

Really; am I just lucky?

(Note; you might notice I'm one of those idiots using Internet Explorer here.  It's because I do all my net-cruising of fetish-stuff with this. I like having a browser I can have hidden away, no shortcuts displayed, that nobody will want to use even if they notice it, so I can have my links all saved normally.  I use Chrome for all my normal browsing!)

Betty

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 04:15:06 AM »
Yeah. W7 will run anything XP does... you may have to install some stuff in compatibility mode to get old software to work though. You can even make it look like & act like XP.

I wasn't aware they were trying to force W10 upgrades on W7 past their "free" months. I'm running W7 on all my machines except my android tablet & phone. After I removed an upgrade folder they put in with a W7 update, it never came back after W10's their free period.

So they wiped out your OS & antivirus you paid money for without any warning or permission? That would be a lawsuit, & many have sued them for that.

I was a W10 insider testing W10 on older machines I use for testing & backup spares since before it was available to the public. I was still testing/using W10 on a test machine until last year when I decided to not waste any more time on it because it was getting worse instead of better, so I removed it.

It never took more than about 40 minutes to install or upgrade to W10, & nothing froze in the process... even on a very old 2005 1.3ghz single core Hitachi, with 1/2gb of RAM, & a 4200rpm 60gb hard drive. It ran without freezing too. Slower than W7 or Linux did on it though.

I did test runs of W10 until last year on a newer dual core 3.66ghz HP with 8gb of RAM, & it still was buggy, unstable, unreliable, (especially after their constant updates), & slower than W7.

No matter what you shut off or disable it still records everything you do, including every keystroke. I can monitor my data, & see it send data out every time I would strike a key. I don't want anything like that in my house.

It's a spyware & data mining terminal, not an OS.

I've never had W7 crash or almost crash or freeze on me. I've had a few browsers freeze when overloaded though.

W10 doesn't have an Explorer browser & won't run one. It uses Edge. That biggest flaw is Explorer & Edge are they're integral parts of the Windows OS. The OS can't run without them, even though you can surf the internet without them by using another browser.

It's a very risky & a bad idea to surf the web with a browser that's also an integral part of your OS.

Other browsers are almost "stand alone" & don't integrate themselves right into the OS.

Set up properly, your W7, Linux, or Mac is not intrusive. Indeed for privacy, W7 & Linux are your best bet... if you don't use Explorer, Edge, or Google Chrome (not the same as Chromium).

Avoid Chinese & Russian browsers too. Opera corp. is still a Norwegian media company, but they sold off their Opera browser division to China. Long before I found out that, I notice it had turned bad, & wouldn't use it anymore. But it turned out that happened just shortly after the Chinese bought it. Opera is not safe, secure, or private anymore.

If you like Opera or Chrome, Try Iridium, it's based on both platforms. I'm still warming up to it but like it so far. For my needs, security, & privacy, I prefer Pale Moon (based on Firefox), Firefox ESR, & Waterfox (also based on Firefox).

Norton is one of the most bloated, resource hungry, wasteful, & pointless bits software around. Most computer savvy people stopped using it in the 1990s. It's no surprise W10 security seems smooth & seamless by comparison. It probably does a better job than Norton or Mcaffee too. Norton was probably seriouly bogging down your machine.

I don't know what browser an individual is using unless they tell me. Statistical data of browsers, & OS stuff is only held for the past 30 minutes, no names are attached to it. Visitor ISP logs are only for the past 24 hours, for security purposes. If we're being attacked, hacked, spidered or probed, I need to see who's doing it. There no name attached to those either.

However, if the sites are under attack, I can keep the statistical data & ISP logs longer, cross-reference all the data, lookup the ISP, paths, & determine if it was a disgruntled member, visitor, or just those dang pesky Russians again.

samantha

• Baby Buns
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 05:02:42 AM »
Hi Betty, I built my own computer, so that i only have what i want in it. I use windows 7 because a lot of my market research will not work on Windows 10. I do use opera as i am also using google as back up.

Betty

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 11:32:25 PM »
Don't use Opera. It is not safe, or secure anymore. It was sold off to a Chinese firm, & can't be trusted anymore.

"Opera corp. is still a Norwegian media company, but they sold off their Opera browser division to China. Long before I found out that, I notice it had turned bad, & wouldn't use it anymore. But it turned out that happened just shortly after the Chinese bought it. Opera is not safe, secure, or private anymore.

If you like Opera or Chrome, Try Iridium, it's based on both platforms. I'm still warming up to it but like it so far. For my needs, security, & privacy, I prefer Pale Moon (based on Firefox), Firefox ESR, & Waterfox (also based on Firefox)."

https://iridiumbrowser.de/

https://www.palemoon.org/

https://www.waterfox.net/

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

The only browsers rated worse for privacy, safety, & security than Google chrome (not Linux chromium), & Opera is Edge & Explorer. They're the bottom of the barrel & should not be used.

https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/browsers.html

Betty

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 01:02:48 PM »
https://askleo.com/how-to-keep-using-windows-7-safely-after-support-ends/

Map of visitors to Betty's in the past 30 minutes & what they were using:

The more you give, the more I can give back.

The dots in the map below represent every person who visited Betty's since May 17, 2020. Blinking dots show people currently here. However if you haven't clicked on anything in a couple minutes your dot won't blink until you click on something again.

Web
Analytics

Hits to Betty's Pubs since Sept. 30th, 2004

eXTReMe Tracker

Website, forum design, software, & security on this site is copyrighted. It was made personally by Betty Pearl, of Betty Pearl's Pubs, Sissy Stories, buffalobetties, pearlcorona. Betty's Pub is a non-profit organization & support group for the transgendered, & Fetware community. We don't sell anything, & we don't data mine your personal information & habits to sell like MOST other sites do. We respect your privacy & won't sell it out for a few bucks.

Site for: Sissy Stories, ABDL Stories, Sissy Art, Crossdressing, Transgender